Nasal Allergy (Allergic Rhinitis)
Our bodies have an inbuilt and complex system to defend against microbes such as viruses and bacteria etc. but when our immune system gets exposed to certain foreign substances and it kicks up an overly heightened response, it is called allergy.
Consult Dr. Rao’s ENT – Best Doctor For Allergic Rhinitis in India -India’s largest and best-equipped ENT Super Speciality Hospital, Hyderabad.
Causes of Nasal Allergy
Few common causes of allergy are as follows: –
- Wind-borne pollen
- Dust mites
- Furry and feathered animals
Some other health problems can also cause symptoms like nasal allergies. They are: –
- Viruses like cold
- Irritants and pollutants, like strong odours or smoke
- Certain medicines
- Changes in the weather
A patient with a nasal allergy can show all the following symptoms or some of the symptoms: –
- Runny Nose
- Stuffy Nose
- Multiple recurring bouts of sneezing
- Itching in throat and /or nose
Precautions & Treatments
- Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure for allergies. Most medicines prescribed, like antihistamines, with or without decongestants, steroid nasal sprays, or antihistamine-delivering nasal sprays or cromolyn sodium, can only offer symptomatic relief.
- Allergy testing and allergy shots (also called immunotherapy) can help from chronic allergy.
- ENT physician can also prescribe antihistamine and steroidal sprays for long-term usage but these must be used correctly.